Our Schools. Our Future. Vote YES on February 14, 2017.

Community Investment in Education

Dear editor,

I am writing in support of the upcoming the Bainbridge Island School District, February 14th renewal levies for Educational Programs and Operations and Technology. These levies provide critical dollars, necessary due to inadequate state funding, for school operations. This includes instructional programs, transportation, utilities, and the technology necessary for our children to learn the skills needed for today’s world and their future.

As a parent of two children who attend BISD schools, I recognize that they benefit tremendously from the investment our community makes in education. Local levy dollars help pay for lower class sizes that provide more individual attention and highly skilled teachers and paraprofessionals who care deeply about their students. They pay for technology opportunities that enhance collaboration with teachers and peers, and classes that inspire my kids like music, engineering, technical graphics and wood technologies.

The State of Washington fails to meet its paramount duty to fully fund the education of every child, even when under court order to do so. State funding covers only 78% of the school district budget leaving a 22% budget gap. I am grateful that Bainbridge Island voters time and again step up to fill that gap in order to provide a world class education for our children.I hope you will join me in again voting YES on the upcoming EP & O and technology levies on February 14th.

Sincerely,
Lisa Hale
Bainbridge Island School District Parent
Bainbridge High School Math Teacher